Most people have suffered from knee pain at one time or another, and even at times, found it difficult to perform daily tasks like walking, running or climbing stairs.
There are many causes of knee pain such as acute injuries, medical conditions, performing strenuous activities and many other causes.
One of the key causes of knee pain is, of course, wearing the wrong footwear especially if you are performing certain activities such as walking or running that can put a strain on your feet and lower limbs.
- ASICS Men's Gel-Kayano 25 Running Shoes, 7M, IRONCLAD/Black
- ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 25 Running Shoes, 7N, Carbon/MID Grey
- Orthofeet Proven Foot and Heel Pain Relief. Extended Widths. Best Orthopedic Shoes Diabetic Arthritis Men’s Loafers. Broadway Brown
- Orthofeet Proven Plantar Fasciitis, Foot and Heel Pain Relief. Extended Widths. Orthopedic Walking Shoes Diabetic Bunions Women’s Sneakers, Coral Turquoise
Table of Contents
- Anatomy of the Knee
- Is Walking Safe if you Have Knee Pain?
- How To Choose The Best Shoe For Knee Pain?
- Reviews: Top-Rated Shoes for Knee Pain
- 1 Running Shoe for Bad Knees and Overpronation
- 2 Walking Shoe for Knee Pain
- 3 Walking Shoe for Knee Pain
- 4 Shoes for Knee Pain and Supination
- 5 Walking Shoes for Bad Knees
- 6 Running Shoes for Knee Pain
- 7 Hiking Shoe for Bad Knees
- 8 Oxford Walking Shoes for Knee Pain
- 9 Osteoarthritis Shoe for Knee Pain
- 10 Running Shoes for Knee Pain and High Arches
- 11 Running Shoes for Knee Pain
- 12 Running and Walking Shoe for Knee Pain
- 13 Knee Pain Relief Running Shoe
- 14 Running Shoe for Knee Pain
- 15 Lightweight Neutral Running Shoe for Knee Pain
- 16 Overpronator Knee Pain Running Shoe
- 17 Orthopedic Boot for Knee Pain
- So What is the Best Shoe for Knee Pain in a Nutshell
- Index Table: The Best Knee Pain Walking Shoes
Anatomy of the Knee
The knee is one of the largest joints in the human body that is the most easily injured.
It is an intricate design joining the thigh bone and the two lower leg bones, the shin, and the tibia.
The leg muscles, responsible for moving the joint are connected by tendons, and the knee bones are connected by ligaments.
The surface of the bones is covered by articular cartilage, which absorbs shock and smoothens the surface, resulting in a smoother joint movement.
The proper shoes will absorb the impact caused by the foot strike when walking or running and will help to attenuate the shock passed on to the cartilage.
Is Walking Safe if you Have Knee Pain?
Exercising when you have knee pain is a catch-22 situation.
It hurts when you move with knee pain, but exercise can eventually also strengthen your knees and make them feel better.
When you suffer from knee pain, it could be uncomfortable and painful moving around initially because there may be inflammation in your knees. Regular walking at a slow pace that increases with time should, however, help to ease the pain in your knees as well as help to rebuild the joints.
The joints in your knees act as shock absorbers for your knees when you run and walk and may become damaged and worn with time resulting in pain and stiffness and problems moving. Exercise and walking can help to strengthen and rebuild the damaged joints with time.
Walking also builds your muscles which in turn takes off some of the pressure from your joints meaning, less knee pain and stronger legs. Walking also helps you to maintain a healthy weight which also reduces pressure on your knees.
Walking can be beneficial if you suffer from knee pain although you should never overdo it and advance slowly in pace.
If your knees become swollen, more painful or feel unstable, it is advised rather stop walking and consult a physician.
Walking is a healthy way to strengthen your legs and rebuild your joints as well as keep your weight under control but walking when you have certain knee conditions may not always be safe. Therefore always listen to your body when performing any type of physical exercise.
Wearing the correct shoes when walking is a vital part of your walking regime and will protect your knees and joints against shock that may cause further pain and damage.
How To Choose The Best Shoe For Knee Pain?
Here are a few factors to consider when looking for good walking and running shoes for knee pain;
- Cushioning – A good cushioning system allows the foot to move freely as it transitions through the gait cycle while reducing the shock felt by the knee. Look for a shoe that has a rearfoot cushioning system that will absorb the heel-strike impact and a front-foot cushioning system that will reduce the shock during the toe-off phase.
Arch and Heel Support – It is important to wear shoes that help you to keep our posture and center of gravity correctly while distributing the weight of the body evenly on the foot. The wrong shoes will add pressure on your knees that will push them out of alignment, resulting in knee pain and even damage to the knee.
Supination and Overpronation – Before buying shoes, it is crucial that you look at the worn-out pattern on your old shoes to determine if you supinate or overpronate. If your sole is worn on the inner side, that means that your foot rolls inwards, and you should wear shoes suitable for overpronation. If it is worn on the outer side, your foot rolls outwards, and you should wear shoes suitable for under pronation, also known as supination.
Firm Midsoles – Shoes with firm midsoles will help to reduce the shock while walking reducing knee pain and preventing knee injuries and damage.
Avoid Wearing High Heels – High heels are one of the key causes of knee pain because they throw your whole body out of alignment. If you have a knee problem or bad knees, avoid wearing heels as they place unnecessary stress on your feet and knees. Studies show that women wearing heels have 23% more impact on their knees while walking compared to the women wearing shoes with no heels.
Reviews: Top-Rated Shoes for Knee Pain
We have done some researched and provided you with a list of the best available running, walking, and everyday wear shoes that will relieve and prevent knee pain and injuries;
1 Running Shoe for Bad Knees and Overpronation
The new Gel Kayano from Asics is a sleek and trendy shoe with the new fluid fit uppers and seamless construction to give you unsurpassed performance and superb comfort.
The new lasting Comfodry sock liner will give plush comfort to mild and moderate over-pronators.
- A textured rubber outsole for good grip.
- Breathable mesh overlays.
- A lace-up running shoe for everyday wear.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot Gel cushioning that helps to attenuate shock.
- The insole is removable so that you can use your won orthotics as needed.
- A Comfodry sock liner to reduce moisture and give comfort to over-pronators.
- A Fluidride midsole and Fluidfit uppers for improved flexibility.
- A comfortable and stabilizing heel clutch for better stability.
- Available in many color designs.
The Orthofeet are Orthopedic and therapeutic walking shoes that provide pain relief for a variety of conditions, such as Plantar fasciitis, knee and back pain.
- A premium orthotic insole that provides anatomical arch support, and a cushioned heel pad that conforms to the contours of your feet.
- The air cushioning system in the lightweight sole is biomechanically engineered to alleviate stress on the limbs and joints and to provide excellent shock absorbency.
- A non-binding extra depth design with seamless, soft and comfortable uppers, as well as a roomy toe box.
- This shoe likewise enhances stability and facilitates correct motion techniques.
The Asics Gel Cumulus 20 is a running and walking shoe that has excellent shock absorbing capabilities and offers you support and comfort that will reduce knee pain.
- Lightweight and breathable uppers made from synthetic materials.
- A shock absorbing rubber sole that also offers good grip on different floor surfaces.
- The Impact guide system will guide the foot’s natural gait from heel strike to toe-off.
- The Fluid Ride technology combines bounce back with shock absorbing cushioning to reduce impact.
- The Rearfoot and Forefoot Gel provide even more cushioned comfort and shock absorption.
- This shoe reduces strain on your knees, feet, and ankles.
- Overall it is one of the Best Walking Shoes for Walking All Day.
A comfortable and breathable shoe that will help to relieve knee pain and reduce the discomfort caused by supination. The New Balance 1540 is an innovative athletic shoe that offers a comfortable and perfect fit.
- Blown rubber outsole and a dual density collar foam.
- Complies with Medicare code A5500.
- No-sew material application, which makes it a very comfortable shoe which fits your feet perfectly.
- Breathable synthetic mesh uppers.
- A soft mesh aimed to lessen joint inflammation and enable free toe movement, a crucial element in preventing bunions.
- The Motion Control Technology aids in controlling over-pronation.
- Available in different width sizes.
The Brooks Addiction Walker is a shoe that fits and feels like an every day casual shoe with added durability, support and comfort features.
- Made from lightweight and durable materials.
- The rear and forefoot Hydro Flow technology provide superb cushioning and shock absorption.
- A MOGO midsole that also helps to reduce shock and improves comfort.
- Also, features a PDRB triple density post on the medial side of the shoe.
- The S-257 Cushsole is a durable and energy efficient midsole compound that can be used as an insole board.
- A synthetic outsole for good grip and support.
- The uppers are made from soft and lightweight full grain leather.
- Available in different color options.
The Dr. Comfort Running shoe is a high-performance orthopedic shoe that guarantees you the stamina and durability of a running shoe, along with the comfort of an orthopedic shoe.
- Comfortable and breathable leather and mesh uppers.
- A Gel insert for additional support, and double depth design.
- A lightweight and comfortable design with seamless interior padding.
- The durable outsole offers excellent traction.
- Available in wider widths.
If you are someone who enjoys hiking or simply just the fresh air and the outdoors, then this is the perfect hiking boot that will also give you added knee support.
The Merrell MOAB Ventilator is a breathable hiking shoe designed to tackle any surface area as well as to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
- A great looking, fashionable, lightweight shoe you can easily wear with jeans.
- Walking in these shoes will not affect your knees at all.
- The Slip-resistant, Multi-Sport TC5+, Vibram outsole provides better traction.
- M-select DRY technology keeps the moisture out while keeping the feet well ventilated.
- The compression molded EVA foot frame offers optimal support and comfort.
Clarks are well known for their comfortable and supportive footwear. The Oxford Walking Shoes are a stylish pair of dress shoes that can be worn for any occasion.
- A fantastic casual style that will complement any outfit.
- These shoes have a sturdy and non-marking outsole for optimal stability and better traction on all surface types.
- soft and comfortable breathable leather uppers.
- A supportive and comfortable Ortholite footbed.
- Ideal as casual walking, or dress shoe.
The Dr. Comfort line of shoes is excellent for osteoarthritis that will also help to relieve pain associated with osteoarthritis and knee pressure.
- Manufactured from breathable and durable leather and mesh.
- A patented X-Sole Relief Technology system that incorporates a specially designed flex zone in the outsole allowing natural movement.
- The biomechanical design promotes better walking gait to reduce pressure on the knees.
- A toggle closure allows you to adjust the fit to your requirements.
10 Running Shoes for Knee Pain and High Arches
The Nimbus series has been continuing for over 20 years now as the most recognized footwear by Asics popular for its superb performance. The Gel Nimbus 20 is a running shoe that has been designed to give you the best adaptability and to mitigate brisk impacts.
- Fluidride technology for a bounce back and cushioning in a lightweight and durable shoe.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL cushioning to help attenuate shock during impact with toe-off phases allowing movement on multiple planes as your foot transitions through the gait cycle.
- The Asics FluidFit upper technology ensures a customized glove-like fit because of the multi-directional stretch mesh combined with the stretch reinforcement that adapts to your feet.
- A heel clutching system to support and cradle your heels.
- Seamless construction for a better and more comfortable feel.
- High energy FlyteFoam cushioning technology.
- Available in a variety of color designs.
The Nike Air Max Thea and Tavas is a fantastic minimalist running shoe with added comfort and support features that will eliminate knee pain.
- The Nike Air Max features textile based uppers with synthetic and leather overlays for a comfortable and breathable fit.
- The injected Phylon midsole and outsole has a visible Air-Sole unit and a Solarsoft sock liner to protect you against impact and keep your feet comfortable and supported.
- The rubber outsole is durable and provides excellent traction.
- The Nike Air Max is a durable and lightweight running shoes that will go the extra mile.
Providing you with comfort and support the Brooks Glycerin is a durable and stable running shoe is built of the neutral to mild over-pronator that is looking to step into a minimalist shoe.
- Lightweight and breathable mesh uppers with 3D fit print overlays for structural support and comfort.
- The full-length Super DNA midsole ensures maximum cushioning and enhanced energy return and support.
- The Brooks Glycerin will ensure you a snug fit with the adjustable saddle construction.
- The soft blown rubber forefoot provides lightweight cushioning and excellent grip along with the high traction capabilities of the overall rubber outsole.
- Ensures flexible, neutral support, with maximum cushioning and stability features.
The Nike Dart is well suited to the neutral under pronator and provides enhanced cushioning and shock absorption.
- The synthetic and mesh uppers ensure a breathable and comfortable fit that will keep your feet dry and well supported.
- The rubber outsole provides excellent cushioning, shock absorption and traction.
- A molded midfoot saddle gives you a more lightweight and supportive fit.
- The Nike Dart 12 is a lightweight, durable and well-cushioned running shoe that will protect your knees and reduce knee pain.
The Saucony Zealot features Nanoweb technology that secures your midfoot and a high-abrasion outsole for maximum performance and support.
- Comfortable and breathable uppers with a lace-up closure system for a custom fit.
- The NanoWeb support cage secures your midfoot for a more responsive feel, and the Orthollite sock liner provides superior comfort.
- Z-Series foam and a high abrasion rubber outsole provide exceptional cushioning shock absorbency and durability.
- A molded PU footbed improves comfort and support for better performance.
- The Meta-Split flex grooves allow the outsole to flex more naturally as you move.
15 Lightweight Neutral Running Shoe for Knee Pain
New Balance is dedicated to designing shoes that not only improve the performance of the athlete, but that also fit well.
The New Balance W890V4 is a lightweight and shock absorbent running shoe for neutral runners that aids in protecting your knees against impact and strain thus reducing and preventing knee pain.
- The uppers have a one-piece FantomFit construction that is lightweight and breathable with a comfortable padded tongue and collar for a more secure fit.
- The Revlite foam midsole offers superior support and cushioning while the cushioned ABZORB insole absorbs shock and provides luxuriously comfortable support.
- A durable rubber outsole delivers excellent grip and will keep you from slipping.
- The New Balance W890V4 is available in a large range of vibrant colors.
16 Overpronator Knee Pain Running Shoe
A breathable and comfortable running shoe reducing strain on your knees best for runners that Overpronate.
Get your blood pumping and adrenaline rushing with the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 19.
- Engineered mesh and 3d fit print uppers for flexibility and breathability.
- BioMoGo DNA and DNA Loft cushioning technology for the best shock absorbing support.
- The GuideRail Holistic Support System supports your knees by keeping excess movement limited.
- HPR Plus technology improves durability in all the high wear areas of the rubber outsole for long-lasting wear.
- The Omega Flex Grooves will ensure more natural forefoot movement and fluidity for a comfortable running experience.
looking for that perfect boot that will not aggravate your knee pain. Well look no further, the Orthofeet Milan and 481 are ideal everyday wear boots that will provide relief, and prevent strain on your knees.
- The uppers are manufactured from soft leather with a seam-free, padded interior.
- An orthotic insole provides ample support and soft cushioned comfort.
- A biomechanical cushioned system engineered to provide the best shock absorbency and motion control.
- Ideal shoe for a range of foot conditions, likewise for back, knee and hip pain.
- The durable outsole offers exceptional traction.
So What is the Best Shoe for Knee Pain in a Nutshell
Using the appropriate footwear that gives you the best support and cushioning is already a huge step in the right direction. This along with the correct running or walking techniques, along with good weight management should eliminate the problem of knee pain and ensure you a healthy exercise routine. So make sure to choose one of our top selections and empower yourself on your pain journey.
Reducing pronation is one of the most efficient methods of not only reducing knee pain but preventing strain on the knee joints in the first place. Anyone with knee pain, who walks, works, or runs on the same hard floor surface, should try to change their environment to a softer or different surface from time to time. Constant running or even walking, on hard floor surfaces can add much strain and pressure to the knees and the shock that is absorbed from running on a hard surface is also detrimental to your feet, ankles, legs and back.
Excellent shock absorption in a running, and walking shoe that protects your knees is an absolute must as this reduces stress on the knees, joints, and feet to relieve and prevent pain and further damage.
Other characteristics such as torsional stability in a shoe and a stable heel and midsole which resists collapse will also aid in supporting the knee and making for a shoe that reduces pronation and supports the arch.
For runners with bad knees, it is advised to get fitted by a shoe specialist first to make sure that the running shoe purchased does not cause any pain or discomfort to the feet or knees.
If you are suffering from knee pain, have a knee injury or even if you are just looking for a good pair of shoes that will maintain the health of your knees the above-mentioned choices are excellent considerations for running, walking and other types of shoes.
Index Table: The Best Knee Pain Walking Shoes
|1||Asics - Running Shoe for Bad Knees and Overpronation||
|2||Orthofeet - Walking Shoe for Knee Pain||
|3||Asics - Walking Shoe for Knee Pain||
|4||New Balance - Shoes for Knee Pain and Supination||
|5||Brooks - Walking Shoes for Bad Knees||
|6||Dr. Comfort - Running Shoes for Knee Pain||
|7||Merrell - Hiking Shoe for Bad Knees||
|8||Clarks - Oxford Walking Shoes for Knee Pain||
|9||Dr. Comfort - Osteoarthritis Shoe for Knee Pain||
|10||Asics - Running Shoes for Knee Pain and High Arches||
|11||Nike - Running Shoes for Knee Pain||
|12||Brooks - Running and Walking Shoe for Knee Pain||
|13||Nike - Knee Pain Relief Running Shoe||
|14||Saucony - Running Shoe for Knee Pain||
|15||New Balance - Lightweight Neutral Running Shoe for Knee Pain||
|16||Brooks - Overpronator Knee Pain Running Shoe||
|17||Orthofeet - Orthopedic Boot for Knee Pain||