Diabetes is a condition that is suffered by millions of people all over the world; diabetes is a lifelong condition that can unfortunately not be cured.
Many people have diabetes and do not know it yet.
There are two types of diabetes, diabetes type one for which you will need to take an insulin supplement daily, and diabetes type two which is less severe and most of the time no insulin is needed, unless the pancreas stopped producing it.
Table of Contents
- What Exactly is Diabetes
- How does Diabetes Affect your Feet and Walking
- Charactaristics of a Good Shoe for Diabetics
- Reviews: Best Shoes for Diabetics
- 1 Comfortable Diabetes Shoe
- 2 Diabetic Dress Shoes
- 3 Diabetic Sneakers
- 4 Walking Shoe for Diabetics
- 5 Boot for Diabetes
- 6 Slip On Walking Shoe for Diabetics
- 7 Diabetic Adjustable Sandal
- 8 Hiking Boot for Diabetics
- 9 Diabetic Athletic Shoe
- 10 Diabetic Walking Shoe
- 11 Comfortable Outdoor Walking Boots
- 12 Lightweight Walking Shoes for Diabetes
- 13 Slip-On Walking Shoes for Diabetes
- 14 Fisherman's Sandal for Diabetes
- 15 Diabetic Shoes
- 16 Wide and Extra Wide Width Diabetic Slip Ons
- Index Table: Top Rated Diabetic Shoes
What Exactly is Diabetes
Diabetes occurs when the amount of glucose in your blood becomes too high because your body is not processing it adequately.
This happens because your pancreas does not produce adequate levels of insulin which help glucose to enter the cells in your body, or the insulin that is produced is not functioning correctly, this is called insulin resistance.
Insulin is a hormone generated by the pancreas which allows glucose to enter the body’s cells where it is then used as fuel for energy. Glucose is basically sugar produced by the liver from carbohydrates that are ingested.
How does Diabetes Affect your Feet and Walking
Diabetes can cause quite a severe nerve damage in your body. Nerves that are damaged can stop sending signals to your brain or send the wrong signals.
This, in turn, affects your feet because nerve damages can cause them to become numb so that you do not feel any pain, heat or cold. Feet that have no feeling can become injured or damaged because you will not feel and ill-fitting shoe, blister or even a pebble in your shoe.
Diabetes can also cause poor blood flow meaning that not enough blood will flow to your feet and legs. Poor blood flow can slow down and even completely stop healing when you have an infection or injury.
Infections that do not heal can result in gangrene which in turn can end up in the loss of a limb or in the case of your feet a toe.
The Nerve damage caused by diabetes can change your foot’s shape because the damaged nerves cannot send messages to your foot muscles about movement. Eventually, your foot muscles become weak and completely imbalanced causing bones and toes to shift.
Nerve damage can also cause issues with the joints and soft tissues of your feet; this is called Charcot’s foot.
When you have no feeling in your feet, you will keep on walking even if your feet are being hurt which can lead to issues such as bunions, hammertoes, and many other foot conditions.
Charactaristics of a Good Shoe for Diabetics
- Uppers – The main characteristics of a good shoe for a diabetic is that it is made from very soft leather or synthetic materials, it has a deep toe box that is wider and rounder to accommodate conditions such as hammertoes and bunions.
Insole – A cushioned and comfortable insole and midsole that absorbs shock and provide good support is ideal.
Outsole Good slip resistance and grip is much needed to protect you from slips and falls.
Orthotics – In some cases where there are severe circulation or sensation issues and significant deformities, a podiatrist will have to prescribe therapeutic footwear and inserts.
Depth – Some patients may require “Depth” shoes with custom molded inserts that help to redistribute pressure on the foot.
Reviews: Best Shoes for Diabetics
Here are a few of the best rated and reviewed shoes for people who suffer from Diabetes;
The Dr. Comfort Carter and Marla are two of the specialty range orthopedic shoes for conditions such as
Arthritis, Edema, Bunions, Hammertoes, Diabetes, Flat feet, Neuropathy and Pronation.
- Constructed with soft and flexible lycra uppers and an adjustable velcro strap for the ideal fit.
- Extra depth and toe-room to accommodate foot deformities and conditions such as Bunions and Hammer Toes.
- Seamless design for less irritation and more comfort.
- Breathable and durable with a slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- Inside there is a comfortable cushioned insole for further support.
1 Comfortable Diabetes Shoe
The Propet Mary Jane and Propet Hugh are stunning shoes perfect to use as dress shoes. Comfortable and therapeutic shoes that are rated according to the Medicare/HCPCS code A5500 standards as a diabetic shoe.
- The uppers are manufactured from soft, smooth leather with an adjustable hook and loop strap for a more customized fit.
- The Propet Hugh features a smooth leather slip-on design available in a few color options.
- The rubber sole offers excellent grip on many floor surfaces.
- A round toe, excellent arch support, and a padded collar add to the comfort and support these shoes will offer.
- The polyurethane unit sole aids in shock absorption and improves durability.
- The internal heel counter offers even more support.
- Available in a range of color designs.
2 Diabetic Dress Shoes
The Grasshopper Stretch Plus and Wally L are flexible, crisp and snug fitting sneakers that are great for everyday wear. These sneakers will keep you on the go even if you do suffer from diabetic symptoms.
- Comfortable and flexible uppers for a lightweight and breathable shoe.
- The stretch fabric design and adjustable hardware allow for an ideal fit.
- The padded collar and mesh tongue in the Stretch Plus ensure a secure and comfortable fit
- Textile lining and cushioning for breathable and cushioned support.
- A Removable Purefit insole for more comfort and support.
- The Flexible rubber midsole ensures easy movement.
- A durable, rubber outsole for excellent traction.
- Color variety available for both shoes.
3 Diabetic Sneakers
This is a great walking shoe that fits and feels more like a running shoe. The Brooks Addiction Walker is a casual every day walking shoe that is durable and comfortable with all the required features for those who have foot symptoms caused by diabetes.
- A durable and slip resistant outsole.
- Soft full grain leather uppers for a comfortable feel.
- Rear and Forefoot Hydroflow for cushioning and shock absorption.
- The MOGO midsole gives superb cushioning and reduces shock felt by your feet and lower limbs.
- A PDRB triple density post on the medial side of the shoe for more stability.
- The S-257 Cushsole is a durable and energy efficient midsole compound that is used as an onboard insole.
- Available in neutral and natural black, white and bone colors.
4 Walking Shoe for Diabetics
A versatile and comfortable boot that can be worn casually, for work and many other outdoor adventures and trails. The Propet Ridgewalker is a warm and waterproof boot for the adventurous individual.
- A soft and breathable suede and mesh upper.
- A high-traction rubber sole for good grip on slippery surfaces, cushioning and durability.
- Full waterproof bootie construction.
- Comfortable padded tongue and collar.
- The molded counter and rubber toe bumper ensures added protection and durability.
- An EVA midsole for comfort and support.
5 Boot for Diabetes
Ideal as a casual everyday wear shoe and supportive enough for a walking shoe, you can never go wrong with the Skechers Go Walk.
- Soft and flexible mesh uppers that are breathable and lightweight.
- Easy to slip on and off.
- The Ortholite footbed with resalyte cushioning offers excellent support and comfort.
- Agion treatment in the soft interior lining controls moisture and odor.
- A durable rubber outsole that ensures good traction.
6 Slip On Walking Shoe for Diabetics
Summer is always a problem when you have a foot condition, particularly related to diabetes.
Most sandals do not offer much support or protection, though that is not the case with the Vionic Kiwi slide.
This sandal offers everything you need in an orthopedic shoe, with the cool casualness of a sandal.
- This sandal features breathable, padded mesh uppers that have a Velcro closing for an adjustable fit.
- The TPR outsole with wave patterns on the tread provides the best traction even on wet floor surfaces.
- The bio-mechanically designed Orthaheel technology hugs your arches in comfort and support.
- This specific shoe is awarded the APMA seal of acceptance.
7 Diabetic Adjustable Sandal
If you are the adventurer who loves the outdoors and particularly hiking through nature, do not allow the symptoms of Diabetes to get you down.
The Merrell Moab 2 combines all the tough protection of a hiking boot with the comfort features of an orthopedic shoe.
- Soft and flexible suede and mesh uppers.
- A durable rubber sole with a protective rubber toe cap and nylon arch shank.
- The Fit Eco, EVA blended and contoured footbed with zonal arch and heel support, ensures you have the best in therapeutic comfort technology.
- A Select dry mesh lining seals out water while still allowing moisture to escape from the inside.
8 Hiking Boot for Diabetics
For all those avid walkers out there, these athletic shoes are the ideal if you suffer from diabetes or even other conditions that may affect your feet.
- The leather and mesh uppers are lightweight and breathable with a seamless padded lining.
- Extra depth allows for a better fit for individuals who require an additional volume.
- Elastic lace closure for a customized fit, and Velcro strap for the women’s.
- Available in wider widths to accommodate different foot conditions.
- Comes with a comfortable and supportive gel insert.
- Thick and durable, shock absorbing outsole.
9 Diabetic Athletic Shoe
The Ortholite Life walker is a comfortable and lightweight walking shoe, ideal for everyday wear and for individuals who have foot conditions related to medical conditions such as Diabetes and neuropathy.
- Soft and comfortable, genuine leather uppers with a brushed nylon lining, and padded collar.
- A built-in heel stabilizer and Velcro, or lacing closure, for a customized and supportive fit.
- The Ortholite insole with memory foam on the top ensures that you have all day plush comfort.
- A durable and high traction, rubber outsole that will keep you firmly on your feet.
10 Diabetic Walking Shoe
These are excellent outdoor and hiking walking boots that have been designed to provide relief to symptoms associated with conditions such as Arthritis and Diabetes.
- Classic Hiking boot style with a supportive ankle.
- An elastic lace closure with a hook and loop strap for the perfect fit.
- Inside there is a Gel insert and stay dry lining to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
- Soft and supple seamless uppers with extra depth and width in the toe area.
- A durable high traction outsole ideal for all trail walking surfaces.
- Available in extended sizes and widths.
11 Comfortable Outdoor Walking Boots
Lightweight and highly breathable Walking shoes that are soft and gentle on your feet, with a high traction outsole.
- Lightweight and breathable upper construction that is gentle on your feet.
- A premium orthotic insole with anatomical arch support and ample cushioning.
- The Ortho-Cushion system is bio-mechanically engineered to alleviate stress on your joints.
- A non-binding, seamless and extra depth design for more toe room and less irritation.
- The outsole is durable and offers excellent traction.
12 Lightweight Walking Shoes for Diabetes
The Skechers slip-on shoes are an easy slip on and off walking shoe with a lightweight and flexible design, ideal for diabetic feet.
- A relaxed and flexible fit with a roomy toe area.
- Advanced cushioning for comfort and support and a flexible and shock absorbing outsole.
- Extremely durable and breathable, ideal for walking.
- The perfect fit for a wider foot and accommodative to foot conditions such as hammertoe and Bunions.
13 Slip-On Walking Shoes for Diabetes
Extra roomy, comfortable and adjustable fisherman’s sandals from Dr. Comfort, that are perfect for Diabetics and individuals with other foot conditions.
- Durable leather that helps prevent skin irritation and helps keep the foot comfortable during long hours of wear.
- Adjustable contact closure allows for easy adjustability and personalized comfort.
- Breathable, open design to help keep feet cool and dry.
- Protective toe box provides extra protection from toe stubbing
- Use of top-quality material and construction helps prevent wear and tear
14 Fisherman's Sandal for Diabetes
One of the best models of New Balance Running and Walking Shoes for Diabetic feet and other foot conditions.
- Features an ENCAP PU ring and an EVA core in the heel for cushioning and support.
- Genuine leather uppers and wide width availability for a better fit.
- A thick shock absorbing and high grip rubber outsole.
- Dual density Collar foam, For comfort and a blown rubber sole.
15 Diabetic Shoes
These are both superb models from Hush Puppies in comfort slip on shoes, with the Gil for men that has an adjustable strap closure.
- Comfortable and supple genuine leather uppers.
- Both are available in wide width options, the men’s version comes with an adjustable strap.
- Flexible design with HP02 Flex Technology in the Heaven model.
- Comfortable and Removable EVA footbed.
- A durable and shock absorbing outsole.
16 Wide and Extra Wide Width Diabetic Slip Ons
Diabetes should no longer damper your stride, for easy walking, running and standing without the worry of injury or unnoticed discomfort you can try any one of the above-listed shoes.
Index Table: Top Rated Diabetic Shoes
|1||Dr. Comfort - Comfortable Diabetes Shoe||
|2||Propet - Diabetic Dress Shoes||
|3||Hey Dude - Diabetic Sneakers||
|4||Brooks - Walking Shoe for Diabetics||
|5||Propet - Boot for Diabetes||
|6||Skechers - Slip On Walking Shoe for Diabetics||
|7||Vionic - Diabetic Adjustable Sandal||
|8||Merrel - Hiking Boot for Diabetics||
|9||Dr. Comfort - Diabetic Athletic Shoe||
|10||Propet - Diabetic Walking Shoe||
|11||Dr. Comfort - Comfortable Outdoor Walking Boots||
|12||Orthofeet - Lightweight Walking Shoes for Diabetes||
|13||Skechers - Slip-On Walking Shoes for Diabetes||
|14||Dr. Comfort - Fisherman's Sandal for Diabetes||
|15||New Balance - Diabetic Shoes||
|16||Hush Puppies - Wide and Extra Wide Width Diabetic Slip Ons||