Sandals by David Childs September 14, 2019
Neuropathy is a condition affecting the nerves in your body, in this case, Peripheral Neuropathy, which occurs as a result of damage to the nerves.
The Symptoms of this condition mostly affects the feet and hands, and therefore proper footwear will be required for comfort and protection.
Short on time? Here’s a summary of the Best Shoes We Found:
Table of Contents
- Neuropathy Facts and Treatments
- How Neuropathy Affects Your Feet
- Features of a Good Sandal For Neuropathy
- Reviews: The Best Sandals For Neuropathy
- 1 Neuropathy Flip Flops
- 2 Neuropathy Fishermans Sandal
- 3 Casual Neuropathy Sandals
- 4 Extra Depth Neuropathy Sandal
- 5 Neuropathy Slide Sandals
- Index Table: Top Rated Sandals For Neuropathy
Neuropathy Facts and Treatments
Neuropathy, or more well known as Peripheral Neuropathy affects your Peripheral Nerves. Nerves send messages from your central nervous system to the brain and spinal cord.
Your Peripheral nerves tell your brain when you are, for example, your hands or feet are cold or experience pain. When these nerves become damaged because of Neuropathy, it can lead to tingling, prickling, numbness, and weakness in the muscles of the body.
Neuropathy can affect a single nerve or many nerves at a time in various areas of the body, though it mostly affects the nerves in the hands, arms, legs, and feet.
Some Interesting Facts on Neuropathy
- Diabetes – Diabetes is one of the main Risk Factors that lead to Neuropathy in most individuals.
Physical Trauma – Repetitive injuries, infections, metabolic issues and exposure to certain toxins and some drugs are all causes of Neuropathy.
Single or Multiple Nerve Neuropathy – Neuropathy can affect a single or multiple nerves anywhere in the body, such as Bell’s Palsy which is a form of Neuropathy that affects the facial nerves.
Nerve Types Affected – Neuropathy can affect you Motor nerves, Sensory nerves, and your Autonomic Nerves.
Main Treatments for Neuropathy
- Diabetic Neuropathy – In the Case where Diabetes is the main cause you will treat Diabetes by controlling the blood sugar.
Caused By Toxins and Medications – In this case, the medication or toxins that cause neuropathy needs to be eliminated as a treatment.
Drug Treatment – Some medications that may be prescribed by your doctor to treat Neuropathy include; antidepressants, such as venlafaxine, Duloxetine may help individuals with chemotherapy-induced neuropathy, drugs normally used for epilepsy, such as carbamazepine can be used, as well as opioid painkillers, for example, oxycodone or tramadol, and in some cases doctors prescribe skin patches, such as Lidoderm, for temporary, localized pain relief.
Footwear for Neuropathy in Feet – It is vital to wear protective outwear if you have Neuropathy in your feet, as you may not feel hot, cold or pain.
How Neuropathy Affects Your Feet
Neuropathy, in actual fact Peripheral Neuropathy causes damage to the nerves in mainly your feet and legs, as well as arms and hands.
Feet affected by neuropathy will usually feel tingly, sharp shoots of pain, which comes and goes and generally become numb and sensitive.
Feet that are numb and have no feeling are quite dangerous to have as there is no pain or hot and cold sensory abilities for you to act upon. You can easily injury your feet, get frostbite, or even step on a hot burning object, without feeling it.
Despite this, because the main cause of peripheral neuropathy is diabetes, injuries and sores on your feet may become infected much more easily and take much longer to heal.
This is why we need to understand how important a protective shoe is, particularly if your feet are numb.
I would not generally recommend sandals for neuropathy, but under the circumstances where the condition’s symptoms are less severe, and there is not much numbness, or if you opt for a more protective closed style sandal, I would regard it safe.
However, I would not recommend sandals as outdoor wear shoes in terrain that can hold hazards which can injure your feet.
Features of a Good Sandal For Neuropathy
- Cushioned and shock absorbing Midsole.
- Extra-depth and removable insole for use of your own orthotics.
- Cushioned and supportive insole.
- Stability and protective shank.
- Closed design.
- Seam free and padded straps.
Reviews: The Best Sandals For Neuropathy
Some of our top choices in sandals for Neuropathy;
We kick off with the Sole Orthopedic Flip Flop. Flip Flops are not ideal for individuals who have complete numbness in their feet as they offer almost no [rotection. For less severe cases this is the perfect Neuropathy Flip Flop.
- Comfortable and fun flip flops for casual summer wear with Nylon lined straps that will not cause any irritation.
- The footbed is cushioned for comfort and support.
- The rubber outsole offers better grip on slippery surfaces.
1 Neuropathy Flip Flops
A durable and highly protective Fisherman’s style sandal which is your best option when it comes to sandals for Neuropathy.
- Offers a Smart Comfort system for a more customizable fit.
- An anatomical support footbed that is removable and has multiple density layers.
- Protective Nylon shank that is lightweight.
- Multi density slip resistant and shock absorbing outsole.
- Available in a variety of color designs.
2 Neuropathy Fishermans Sandal
Easy slip on and off orthopedic sandals that are ideal for leisurewear if you suffer from conditions affecting your feet, such as Neuropathy or Diabetes.
- Seam free soft and supple leather uppers design.
- Dual-density cushioned and shock absorbing Midsole.
- A comfortable cushioned and lined insole.
- Available in different width options to choose from.
- The stability shank controls motion and protects you from imbalance.
- Soft and supple leather and seam-free uppers.
3 Casual Neuropathy Sandals
Dr. Comfort Colin
From Doctor comfort, we have another pair of Fishermans Style sandals that offer excellent protection and comfort for numb and painful feet.
- Soft and supple full grain leather uppers that are padded and seamless for comfort and less irritation.
- A removable back strap design for a customizable fit.
- Comfortable and removable cushioned footbed.
- Available in a black or brown color variation as well as wider width options.
- Durable and shock absorbing rubber outsole that offers good slip resistance.
4 Extra Depth Neuropathy Sandal
Dr. Comfort Fisherman
Another two superb sandals from Dr. Comfort, and orthopedic brand that designs shoes specifically for medical conditions and foot deformities.
- Durable and soft Nubuck leather uppers with an adjustable Velcro strap.
- A dual density shock absorbing midsole and durable rubber outsole.
- The Post shank offers added protection and stability.
- A cushioned and supportive footbed.
- Available in wider widths.
5 Neuropathy Slide Sandals
Dr. Comfort Connor
Index Table: Top Rated Sandals For Neuropathy
|1||Sole - Neuropathy Flip Flops||
|2||Timberland - Neuropathy Fishermans Sandal||
|3||Dr. Comfort - Casual Neuropathy Sandals||
|4||Dr. Comfort - Extra Depth Neuropathy Sandal||
|5||Dr. Comfort - Neuropathy Slide Sandals||