Orthopedic shoes are more comfortable and supportive than everyday footwear. These pairs accommodate orthotic inserts and help to alleviate the symptoms associated with numerous conditions of the foot. It’s a common misconception that orthopedic shoes for women are never stylish because there are plenty of trendy choices available.
Orthopedic shoes provide many beneficial functions by better supporting the mechanics and structure of the foot. They improve the symptoms of painful conditions like plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, and back pain.
You have heard of orthopedic shoes for women, but you might not know what differentiates them from ordinary footwear.
Table of Contents
- What Is The Best Orthopedic Shoe?
- Finding The Right Pair Of Orthopedic Shoes
- The Benefits Of Wearing Orthopedic Shoes For Women
- Reviews: Best Orthopedic Shoes For Women
- Brooks Women's Addiction Walker Walking Shoes - Orthopedic Walking Shoes
- FitFlop Women's Loosh Luxe¿ Cross Slide Leather Sandals - Sandals for Foot Pain
- Clarks Women's Janey June Mary Jane Flat - Casual Comfort Shoes
- Vionic Women's Joy Serena Ankle Boot - Ladies Everyday Boots with Concealed Orthotic Arch Support - Stylish Ankle Boots
- Vionic Women's Spark Minna Ballet Flat - Flats for Foot Pain
- Frye Women's Erica Oxford, Taupe, 8.5 M US - Orthopedic Slip-On Shoes
- New Balance Women's Low-Top Trainers - Everyday Athletic Sneaker
- SoftWalk Women's Ireland - Orthopedic Heels
- CLARKS Women's Sillian Bella Mary Jane Flat - Everyday Shoes For Women
- What Makes Orthopedic Shoes Different From Everyday Footwear?
- Final Thoughts
- Index Table: Best Orthopedic Shoes For Women
What Is The Best Orthopedic Shoe?
For women dealing with conditions of the foot, leg, or back, orthopedic shoes are a must-have design. They improve the overall health of these areas by supporting and accommodating the mechanics of the foot. The style of orthopedic shoes you need depends on which condition you hope to treat, though most are beneficial for all kinds of foot problems.
Orthopedic Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis – Plantar fasciitis is the leading cause of heel pain in North America. This condition is most common in middle-aged people, though it affects younger people who spend long hours on their feet. The plantar fascia is a band of tissue that connects the heel bone with the toes, and it supports the delicate arch area. If you strain the plantar fascia ligament, it weakens over time, eventually swelling and becoming irritated.
Orthopedic shoes give you the extra support needed to alleviate the painful symptoms associated with this condition. It’s imperative that the foot is aligned correctly to prevent any further damage to the ligaments and that the arch is supported. Everyday footwear doesn’t meet these requirements, which is why it’s so important to invest in a quality pair of orthopedic shoes for plantar fasciitis.
Orthopedic Shoes for Back Pain – Anyone who suffers from back pain knows how essential it is to wear a good pair of shoes. The right footwear keeps your feet properly aligned and lessens the strain on your back. When your alignment is off-center, it affects the way you stride and can give you a backache from the unnatural positioning.
Orthopedic Shoes for Flat Feet – Women with flat or low arches need extra support to avoid pain and discomfort in the underside of the foot. When the arch isn’t high enough, every step puts excess pressure on the area and makes it easier to tear or strain your ligaments. Orthopedic shoes give you that extra support and protect your foot from injury.
Finding The Right Pair Of Orthopedic Shoes
Orthopedic shoes have developed a rep for being ‘ugly,’ but over the decade’s things have changed. Nowadays, they look more trendy, and most people can’t even tell the difference between these and everyday footwear. Women often experience back pain and discomfort in their feet and legs, which worsens with age.
Unfortunately, most women think of orthopedic shoes as being unsightly and often choose to suffer rather than wear a pair of medical-grade footwear. Today, orthopedic shoes are more stylish than ever, and the many benefits to these pairs make them a worthwhile consideration.
Depending on your needs, there are a ton of orthopedic options available, including shoes for walking, running, working, and for casual occasions too. Firstly, you need to find a pair that offers the design features you need. Most orthopedic shoes provide at least two of the following aspects;
- A removable footbed to accommodate medical orthotics for women who require prescription inserts.
- A deep toe box that gives you plenty of wiggle room in case of bunions or other deformations.
- A firm heel counter to stabilize the area and improve the symptoms of plantar fasciitis or heel spurs.
- Available in a minimum of three widths, to suit every size foot.
The Benefits Of Wearing Orthopedic Shoes For Women
Suffering from foot pain affects all aspects of your life, from walking to working and makes it difficult to complete even the most basic of tasks. Orthopedic shoes can help to improve your quality of life by reducing the unpleasant symptoms of numerous medical conditions.
Choosing to wear orthopedic shoes is taking a step in the right direction towards improving the health of your feet.
- Orthopedic shoes often have a removable insole that accommodates custom orthotic inserts.
- These shoes provide better support to the delicate arch area, reducing the chance of further injury.
- For women suffering from flat feet, orthopedic shoes support the arch and prevent pain or irritation.
- These shoes are suitable for women with wide feet and are often available in more than one width to suit your structure.
- If you have bunions, orthopedic shoes have extra room in the toe so that the material won’t put pressure on the sensitive areas.
Reviews: Best Orthopedic Shoes For Women
The Brooks Addiction Walker is perfect for women who struggle with back pain. This sneaker has an innovative Hydroflow cushioning system that absorbs shock to prevent strain on your feet, legs, and back muscles. The Addiction Walker offers an Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar (PDRB) support system with strategical positioning to promote natural alignment. It’s an ideal choice for ladies who like to spend long hours walking.
- This sneaker has a non-slip sole that prevents any accidental falls.
- Its support system helps to keep your body naturally aligned.
- BioMoGo DNA is Brooks’ proprietary cushioning that adapts to your stride and deflects impact.
- These sneakers are ideal for ladies with back pain, or who enjoy walking for long hours.
FitFlop Loosh Luxe sandals are one comforting pair of summer footwear. They have innovative Microwobbleboard midsoles that diffuse pressure with a combination of soft and firm cushioning to alleviate foot pain. The Loosh Luxe is a stylish pair of slides that fits medium to wide feet comfortably.
- A pressure-diffusing Microwobbleboard midsole provides superior cushioning and all-day comfort.
- The rubber outsole is slip-resistant to prevent any accidental slips or falls.
- Leather lining material prevents excess sweating by allowing air to circulate your skin.
- These sandals are always-in-style thanks to a quilted crisscross upper and smooth leather material.
Clarks Janey June flats make the perfect addition to your warm-weather wardrobe. The leather upper keeps you comfortable and prevents excessive sweating, while an adjustable buckle ensures the best fit every time. Clarks Plus technology gives you all-day cushioning and eliminates pain in the arch and heel areas.
- An adjustable buckle gives you total control over the width, so you always feel comfortable.
- The rubber outsole provides anti-slip protection to prevent any accidental slips or falls.
- These flats have a leather upper that prevents excessive sweating by wicking moisture away from your skin.
- Built-in Clarks Plus technology gives you all-day comfort and protects against foot and heel pain.
Vionic Women's Joy Serena Ankle Boot - Ladies Everyday Boots with Concealed Orthotic Arch Support - Stylish Ankle Boots
The Vionic Serena boot is a must-have fall staple. This ankle boot has a removable EVA footbed that accommodates custom orthotic inserts. It has a low 1.8″ heel that is easy to walk on and won’t cause any pain in the delicate arch area. The Serena boot has a side zipper and slips on or off with little effort.
- The Serena Boots’ removable footbed accommodates custom fit orthotic inserts.
- This boot is available in both medium and wide widths to suit any foot shape.
- It comes pre-treated with a protective coating for better water-resistance.
- The low 1.8″ heel is natural to walk on and won’t cause any foot pain or discomfort.
The Vionic Spark Minna is a sleek-looking ballet flat that’s perfect for nearly any occasion. It has a removable, micro-fiber insole that accommodates custom-fit orthotics and a flexible outsole. An EVA midsole reduces strain on your legs, ankles, and feet so you can feel your best. For women who require extra arch support, the Spark Minna is a perfect choice.
- Its deep heel cups stabilize the foot and support your entire body.
- The leather or calf upper looks incredibly stylish and is appropriate for all-season wear.
- A lightweight EVA midsole absorbs shock and protects the delicate underside of the foot.
- This flat corrects issues with overpronation and flat feet.
The Skechers Microburst One Up is a fashionable slip-on that promotes better foot health. It has a sporty design and soft woven fabric upper that is ultra-comfortable to wear. Memory foam cushioning conforms to the shape of the foot to prevent any pain or discomfort, even after hours of wear. These sneakers are lightweight and flexible, with an Easy Flex sole for enhanced slip-resistance.
- The air-cooled memory foam cushioning lets plenty of air circulate your skin.
- Memory foam conforms to the shape of your foot for a customized fit and feel.
- A woven fabric upper lets you move freely and won’t restrict you in any way.
- These stylish ballet flats look great with practically any style of dress.
The New Balance 840v2 sneaker offers a trendy appearance and ultra-comfortable design. Its durable leather and suede upper lasts longer than most and can handle whatever the day brings. These versatile shoes feature ABZORB cushioning that absorbs shock and protects the delicate underside of the foot.
- Its innovative ABZORB cushioning provides better shock absorption and protects the arch.
- These sneakers are perfect for women who enjoy walking and are an excellent choice for any athletic activities.
- A stylish look makes the 840v2 a trendy choice of footwear.
- This sneaker comes in both full and half sizes for the perfect fit.
The Vionic Irish Soft Walk doesn’t sacrifice on style in the name of comfort. It offers a 2″ heel that gives you added lift without making it difficult to walk on and a trendy appearance that’s perfect for both casual and professional wear. These heels have a removable footbed to accommodate orthotic inserts and an adjustable buckle that makes them fit perfectly every time.
- A dual-density footbed protects the arch and absorbs shock from every step.
- These flats come in various widths from standard to wide-fitting.
- An adjustable buckle lets you control the fit.
- This flat treats bunions, claw toes, and cavus foot.
The Clarks Sillian Bella is an enjoyable shoe to wear for days when you spend hours on your feet. It’s stylish enough to wear while you work, yet casual enough for lazy days off too. This pair offers a sporty and lightweight build with hook-and-loop fastening and a breathable outsole. It has a removable footbed to accommodate orthotics, and its mesh upper lets plenty of air circulate your skin.
- A secure hook-and-loop closure makes it a breeze to slip these on or off.
- Stretch fabric panels give you more freedom to move and won’t restrict you.
- The EVA outsole provides better shock absorption and protects the underside of the foot.
- These shoes are breathable and lightweight so that you won’t get too hot or sweaty.
What Makes Orthopedic Shoes Different From Everyday Footwear?
There are a ton of conditions affecting the foot that makes it challenging to find a suitable pair of footwear. Things like bunions, heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, deformations, and diabetes all require unique design elements to prevent foot pain and irritation.
Orthopedic shoes give you those special features that make finding the perfect pair easier. Some of the points that distinguish orthopedic footwear from everyday shoes are;
- Velcro straps that make it easier to slip your shoes on or off.
- Wide widths that give you extra room and eliminate pressure on sore spots like bunions or spurs.
- A removable footbed so that you can use your prescription orthotic inserts.
- Extra support in crucial areas like the heel and arch to prevent further damage to your ligaments.
When it comes to the health of your feet, it’s not something to take too lightly. Did you know that your foot health affects your whole body and can negatively impact how well you feel?
Choosing the right pair of orthopedic shoes for women means improving your quality of life by helping to reduce the symptoms of your condition. Whether you suffer from plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, diabetes, or even bunions, wearing proper footwear will keep you comfortable.
Don’t let misconceptions keep you from wearing orthopedic shoes because there are options available that are quite stylish.
Index Table: Best Orthopedic Shoes For Women