More than a third of the adult population in the U.S.A only weigh at least 20% more than what they should be weighing.
Every person has a Body Mass Index which is a form of measuring your height in comparison with your weight to see if you are at a healthy weight.
Many people exceed the weight limit either slightly or a bit more. Excess weight can put pressure on your feet and lower limbs, therefore the right shoes are crucial.
Table of Contents
- Risks Factors in Being Overweight
- How Does Extra Weight Affect Your Feet
- Characteristics of a Good Shoe for Overweight Men and Women
- Reviews: Best Walking Shoes for Overweight Men and Women
- 1 Cushioned Walking Shoe
- 2 Walking Shoe for Heavier Individuals
- 3 Durable and Supportive Running Shoe for Extra Weight
- 4 Heavy Weight Therapeutic Walking Shoe
- 5 Orthopaedic Walking shoe for Heavy Individuals
- 6 Memory Foam Sneakers for Walking
- 7 Athletic Running Shoes for Overweight Men and Women
- Index Table: Walking Shoes for Overweight Men and Women
Risks Factors in Being Overweight
Being overweight can put you at risk for many conditions, these include;Diabetes, Hypertension, High Cholesterol, Heart Disease, Cancer Types, Arthritis, and risk of Stroke.
Obesity is exceeding in men and women, and becoming more and more prevalent. Many individuals, regardless of their ethnicity or demographic characteristics and income band, just do not have the time, resources or budget to maintain physical activity and healthy eating choices.
With the environment today and the stress, effort and time that work and other responsibilities placed on us all, there is little to none left for exercise and healthy eating habits.
This results in the increase of overweight people, that similarly stand a risk of many dangerous and even fatal health conditions and issues.
How Does Extra Weight Affect Your Feet
The extra weight of your body has a direct impact on your feet and lower limbs, and unfortunately, being overweight will most definitely affect your feet negatively, and may result in pain, likewise.
Extra weight increases pressure and strain on your feet, which in turn makes standing and walking much more uncomfortable.
Being overweight similarly stretches and wears out connective tissue, joints, and tendons in your feet and lower limbs.
Here are a few obesity-related symptoms that affect your feet;
- Pain in the ball of your foot.
- Plantar Fasciitis.
- Heel Pain.
- Edema and swelling from water retention.
- Stress fractures.
- Bunions and Hammertoes.
- Arthritis Symptoms.
- Diabetes Symptoms.
- Pressure Ulcers.
- Ankle Pain.
Obesity can similarly cause a variety of muscoskeletal issues that can affect your feet, and symptoms that persist without medical attention can become much worse.
Characteristics of a Good Shoe for Overweight Men and Women
There is nothing better to curb extra weight than good exercise and a healthy diet.
Starting to exercise may be a difficult task at first when you are overweight, but I would suggest walking as a start.
With that said, you will, of course, need a good walking shoe, the extra weight will definitely likewise affect your choice in walking shoes.
So here is what you need to look at;
- Good Arch support for your arch type, flat, high or normal.
- Stability features.
- Motion Control if you tend to overpronate.
- SHOCK ABSORBENCY.
- A durable high traction outsole.
- Lightweight construction.
- Breathable uppers such as a mesh.
- A moisture-wicking inner lining.
- Comfortable and supportive footbed.
- THE RIGHT FIT!!! Not loose, and not squeezing!!!
Reviews: Best Walking Shoes for Overweight Men and Women
Here are our top picks when it comes to comfortable and supportive walking shoes, for men and women with a little extra weight.
The Asics Gel-Contend 4 is a leader in its class, offer you superior cushioning to attenuate shock, as well as keeping your feet dry and fresh.
- Breathable and comfortable mesh and synthetic uppers that offers you a flexible fit, with a low-top from the arch.
- There is rearfoot Gel cushioning that reduces the impact on your feet, and allows for a more smooth transition to midstance.
- The removable sock liner aids in allowing you to use your own foot orthotic devices.
- The sock liner similarly features ComforDry technology which provides further cushioning, and likewise, moisture wicking capabilities, for a cool and healthy environment for your feet.
- Furthermore, the Gel-Contend is available in a large range of colorful designs for you to choose from.
New Balance is a top brand when it comes to athletic shoes, the 840 is a health walking shoe, with comfort and support features directly aimed at reducing the impact on your feet.
- The ABZORB midsole cushioning system is one of the best forms of cushioning when it comes to comfort and shock absorption.
- The forefoot has a wider fit to accommodate a wider foot and the heel is slightly narrower for better ankle support and stability.
- The higher instep design offers more comfort, particularly for heavyweight women and individuals with foot conditions.
- A durable rubber sole will offer you the best in traction and long-lasting strength.
- This shoe is available in a white with pink trimming design, and also a solid black design.
3 Durable and Supportive Running Shoe for Extra Weight
If you are looking for a tough and durable running shoe, that will still provide you with the best support, then I will route for the Saucony Cohesion 12, the latest in the Cohesion models.
- Breathable and lightweight synthetic and mesh uppers with supportive overlays for a better fit.
- Available in four twin colors, as well as a solid black color option.
- The durable rubber outsole offers excellent traction and long-lasting tough endurance.
- A Grid supportive cushioning system offers you the best in cushioned comfort and total support.
The Propet Tour Walker and Life Walker for Men, are the ideal walking shoes for going on tours or trips where you will be walking quite a lot.
This shoe has both an elegant and sophisticated design, and likewise offers some superior features for this purpose.
- Genuine leather uppers with two adjustable Velcro straps for a comfortable fit.
- The durable rubber outsole offers excellent shock resistance and high traction.
- A High density EVA midsole ensures plush cushioned comfort.
- A fabric liner keeps moisture under control.
- This shoe is available in both black, and white color options.
The Orthofeet Sneaker is an orthotic walking shoe, designed to cater to feet of diabetic individuals or those who suffer from Plantar Fasciitis, conditions that are faced by overweight individuals.
- Features a plush and supportive contoured orthotic insole that offers the best in anatomical arch support.
- The heel has gel padding for superior shock resistance and a smoother heel to toe transition.
- Outsole: Ergonomically designed with responsive air cushioning.
- This shoe will soften your steps, reduce pressure under your heels and similarly aid in relieving heel pain while enhancing mobility.
Both these Sneakers from Skechers have a memory foam insole that offers exceptional support and cushioning which is much required by individuals who are on the heavy side.
- Leather and synthetic uppers are lightweight and breathable.
- Lace-up system for a secure and comfortable fit.
- A wider fit with more toe room.
- Durable and hard wearing thick rubber outsole for shock absorbency and high traction.
- A cushioned comfortable mesh tongue.
- Memory foam cushioned insole.
- The athletic midsole on the D’Lite is very lightweight and super shock absorbing.
- Many color options to choose from for both men and women.
7 Athletic Running Shoes for Overweight Men and Women
- The Ryka for Women features an anatomical precise energy return footbed with ample cushioning and a lightweight molded EVA outsole with a re-sorb shock absorbing platform and external pod network in between.
- The Ryka also features an eight-piece radiused skeletal rubber works with the re-zorb midsole and cobblestone engineering.
- A mesh and leather upper construction that is breathable and lightweight with a thick and durable high traction rubber outsole on both athletic shoe.
- The Asics Gel contend boasts Gel forefoot and heel cushioning that is excellent for impact absorption and a ComforDRy sockliner to keep those sweaty feet dry and comfortable.
- Many color and design options available for your personal preference and requirements.
The first thing to look for in a walking shoe is a good fit, then I would suggest your most important features are Cushioning and Shock Absorption, which are particularly important when you are overweight.
The list of shoes I have chosen feature all the characteristics you will require in a good walking shoe, so you are sure to find something here!!!
Index Table: Walking Shoes for Overweight Men and Women
|1||Asics - Cushioned Walking Shoe||
|2||New Balance - Walking Shoe for Heavier Individuals||
|3||Saucony - Durable and Supportive Running Shoe for Extra Weight||
|4||Propet - Heavy Weight Therapeutic Walking Shoe||
|5||Orthofeet - Orthopaedic Walking shoe for Heavy Individuals||
|6||Skechers - Memory Foam Sneakers for Walking||
|7||Asics - Athletic Running Shoes for Overweight Men and Women||