Being a Chef means that you are Actively on Your Feet in a very Fast Paced work Environment, that is loaded with hazards and toiling affects.
The right pair of shoes will not only provide comfort and support but will likewise ensure that you are protected against the risks and hazards faced in the kitchen.
Table of Contents
- Chef’s Kitchen Hazards
- Why You Need The Best Chef’s Shoe
- Features of a Good Shoe for Chefs
- Reviews: The Best available Shoes for Chef’s
- Dansko Women's XP 2.0 Black Floral Tooled Clogs 9.5-10 M US - Chef’s Shoe
- KEEN Utility Women's PTC Slip On 2 Low Food Service Shoe, Black/Black, 7 Medium US - Chef’s Loafer
- Skechers for Work Women's Gozard Walking Shoe, Black, 8 M US - Electrical Hazard Safe Chef Shoe
- Birkenstock Tokio Super Grip Clogs, Black, EU 38 / Womens 7-7.5 R - Super Grip Chef Shoe
- Crocs Men's and Women's Bistro Clog | Slip Resistant Work Shoe, Black, 8 Women / 6 Men - Chef Shoes for Men and Women
- Index Table: Top Rated Chef’s Shoes
Chef’s Kitchen Hazards
When you are working in such a fast paced kitchen environment you are faced with tremendous risks on a daily basis, as well as working with hazardous equipment and substances;
- Spills and Wet Floors – Floors in the kitchen are almost guaranteed to have spill of either wet, greasy or oily foods and ingredients on a daily basis that can be some serious slip hazards.
- Sharp Objects – Whether it is sharp kitchen utensils or broken glass your feet and toes are at risk of getting either cut by a falling knife or even punctured from below.
- Hot substances and surfaces – The HEAT is on in the kitchen, from spilling hot liquids to extremely hot stoves and surfaces, this is a great risk in any kitchen.
- Electricity – Because you are working with both wet substances and electricity in the kitchen the likelihood of electrical shock increases.
- Foot fatigue and Pain – Not quite a hazard but a fact in general, your feet are going to ache, become tired, and moist, and may even sweat and develop blisters in this type of environment.
Why You Need The Best Chef’s Shoe
I have to warn you a high-quality Chef shoe may not be so friendly to your budget, keeping in mind that you are investing in something to protect a very important aspect, your feet and that you want to last.
There are many good brands though that offer you excellent quality durable chef’s shoes that will not cost an arm or a leg.
For the most part, you want a shoe that provides comfort and support, that absorbs shock from the impact from walking and standing for long hours, and that protects you against the hazards and risks involved in the kitchen.
Features of a Good Shoe for Chefs
- Outsole – Most likely your most important protective feature, the outsole. Look for a non-marking, anti-skid, slip and oil resistant outsole, usually rubber that is thick and shock absorbing.
Breathability – An open structure, such as that of Crocs, or lightweight and breathable materials to keep your feet dry and cool in a hot environment.
Flexibility – Flexible uppers and sole so that you can move fast and easily.
Toe Protection – a reinforced Toe or toe cap can protect your toes against faling objects.
- Puncture Plate – A Puncture plate or steel plate in the sole will help to prevent puntures from sharp objects.
Comfort – Comfort features and support features include cushioning, arch support, smooth linings and a comfortable fit that will not cause irritation.
Durability – Make sure that the shoe is made from quality and durable materials as well as being constructed to last you a long time.
Reviews: The Best available Shoes for Chef’s
Here are some of the latest and best shoe brand and models used by professional Chefs today;
Stain resistant Durable Chef’s Work Shoe from Dansko professional.
- From the bottom up this shoe has a highly durable and slip resistant rubber outsole with a slight, heel.
- A removable dual density PU footbed that is covered in absorbing leather and cushioned for comfort.
- The protective Heel Counter, offer protection and support to the heel and excellent lateral stability.
- The uppers are genuine leather that has been treated with 3M Scotchguard stain-resistant materials.
The Keen Utility PTC is a highly durable and comfortable slip-on shoe with the ideal features for working in a fast-paced kitchen or restaurant.
- Features the highly supportive and comfortable CUSH PU Memory foam footbed.
- An easy slip on and off design that offers a superior fit.
- The outsole is made from durable rubber that is highly Slip resistant and skid proof.
- Meets the ASTM standards for slip resistance.
- Highly durable design and high-quality materials.
The Gozard from Skechers for Work offers you the additional characteristic of being protected against electrical hazards in the kitchen.
- Durable leather and textile uppers that offer superb breathability and a lightweight fit.
- The thick rubber sole absorbs shock and ensures excellent slip resistance on those slippery kitchen floors.
- Inside there is a comfortable and plush Memory foam Footbed that will contour to the shape of your feet and provide exceptional cushioned comfort and support.
- Manufactured from Electrical Hazard safe Materials, to protect you against accidental electrocution when using electrical kitchen equipment and appliances.
If you are looking for a bit more breathability and the best grip that you will find in a shoe, the Birkenstock Tokyo is just what you may need.
- Genuine durable and supple leather uppers construction that conforms to the shape of your feet.
- There is a front and back adjustable buckle for a customized fit and the heel is open for better ventilation and cooling.
- A contoured cork footbed that offers a custom fit by molding to the shape of your feet and arches.
- The durable rubber outsole is Certified to offer the best in slip resistance.
- An easy on and off design that will offer you the best comfort and protection in the kitchen environment.
Crocs Men's and Women's Bistro Clog | Slip Resistant Work Shoe, Black, 8 Women / 6 Men - Chef Shoes for Men and Women
Crocs are virtually indestructible and therefore an excellent choice as a chef’s shoe, along with the fact that they are highly breathable, soft and lightweight.
- Made from 100% pure Crosslite material, that is very lightweight and durable.
- A highly slip-resistant tread that is perfect for kitchen and food industry work, as well as for nurses.
- The design is cooling and well ventilated with a backstrap for a secure fit and an open jheel.
- There are additional ventilation holes at the sides to keep your feet dry and cool in those hot kitchens.
- The Crosslite material offers exceptional cushioning and support under your feet.
- Available in a few color options for you to choose from.
Index Table: Top Rated Chef’s Shoes